When someone you love needs addiction treatment, there’s no time to waste. It’s important to ask the right questions to find the treatment center that will meet your needs. Use the questions below to find the best addiction treatment facility to get your loved one the help they need.
When choosing a rehab, ask questions about:
- Is there a bed available today? If not, how soon will one be available?
- How long is the length of stay?
- What is the payment structure? Does the facility work with insurance companies? Can their staff help you navigate the process of insurance coverage? What out-of-pocket expenses should you expect?
These nitty-gritty details of how a facility operates are important in determining whether it is a good fit. While you can expect a few days’ wait for an opening at an established treatment center, it’s important to get your loved one in as soon as possible. You also want to be sure that once they’re there, they will have enough time to make sustainable change. A top-notch rehab facility will be honest with you about the optimal length of stay, and they’ll work to make that possible for your loved one. A center’s flexibility and guidance in how to cover the costs of addiction rehab can be instrumental in making this lifesaving step a reality.
The Center’s Treatment Approach
- Does the center use evidence-based programs?
- How are the clinical staff licensed?
- Is medically-supervised detoxification (“detox”) offered as part of inpatient treatment?
- What is the typical schedule at the treatment facility?
- How does the center handle dual-diagnoses?
- Are there specialists to treat pain and trauma?
Finding a treatment center that uses proven therapies and upholds regulatory standards is paramount in getting your loved one the best care. A facility with staff trained to address co-occurring psychological and substance use diagnoses, pain, and trauma can help help your loved one navigate the unique components of their illness. Look for a treatment program that is active and tailored to the individual. Rehab is a major investment of time, money, and personal energy – you want to make sure that investment is met with purposeful, transformative activities.
Success and Long-term Support
- What is the program’s success rate?
- What will happen after your loved one leaves treatment?
- What resources are available for continued support and follow-up?
Treatment centers that are focused on achieving outcomes will track how their clients progress after treatment. Ask the facility for information about their alumni who have been out of treatment for six months to a year. Inpatient treatment is just one part of a lifelong process of recovery. Continued support is essential to helping your loved one maintain their health over the long term.
Entering addiction treatment is the beginning of a new way of living for your loved one. Finding a facility that is a good fit, with a comprehensive treatment approach, can create the foundation for lifelong recovery. Ask the questions above to help your loved one take that next step with confidence.
Horizon Health Services offers many different options for detox, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Horizon also offers support for family members and loved ones of someone affected by substance use disorder. Call our team of patient support specialists today at (716) 831-1800 for more information.